top of page
  • Writer's pictureEFPD

Safety Tips For Avoiding Fires During Winter


Person kicking their feet up in front of a fire | EFPD |Eureka Missouri

Did you know that the risk of house fires increases in the winter months? From holiday decorations to open candles, and fireplaces to Christmas trees and their pine needles, heating and cooking, all provide opportunities for fire to strike.


Use Space Heaters Responsibly

Certified Chimney Professional Inspects A Home Fireplace | EFPD | Eureka Missouri

Heating is a leading cause of house fires, injuries (burns), and fire-related deaths, especially in the winter. While space heaters are a convenient option for heating a room, they can often lead to fires when forgotten about.


Did you know that one in every seven house fires and one in every five house fire-related deaths involve heating equipment, like space heaters? If you use a space heater, be sure to be in the room with it while it is on, don’t leave space heaters unattended or around small children and pets, and never fall asleep with a space heater on. Keep anything that can burn, like paper and clothes, at least 3 feet away from heat sources like ovens, space heaters, fireplaces, stoves, and radiators.


Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Woman Sleeps In Front of A Burning Fire | EFPD | Eureka Missouri

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a very dangerous odorless, colorless gas. It’s often called the invisible killer because many people aren’t aware of when they have a carbon monoxide leak. CO is created when gasoline, wood, coal, and propane do not burn completely. In homes, the leading cause of CO is heating and cooking equipment that is powered by fuel. As a best practice, install CO detectors in your house and regularly

change their batteries.


Christmas Trees Can Be A Threat To Fire

Stack of Dry Wood To Burn in a Fireplace | EFPD | Eureka, MO

We love Christmas trees, but fires love them more. Choose a tree with fresh needles that don’t feel dry and fall off when touching it. Be sure to water your tree daily, so it doesn’t dry out. When placing the Christmas tree, make sure it’s the least 3 feet away from any heat sources, like fireplaces, space heaters, heat vents, candles, and radiators.

Also, don’t leave your Christmas tree up for long periods after the holidays. When the tree’s needles are dry and falling off with the lightest touch, it means it’s time to take it down. The last thing you want is for a house fire to begin from a dried-out tree.


With these fire safety tips for the winter, you should be able to enjoy your holidays without your house catching on fire.



About the Author:

Eureka Fire Protection District is an EMS, Fire, and Rescue service provider located in Eureka, Missouri. Staffed with nearly one hundred volunteer and career Paramedics, EMTs, Firefighters, Junior Firefighters, and administrative teams, the department provides its local community with fire prevention, education, safety resources, and emergency relief. Eureka Fire Protection District maintains a reputation as a well-run, high-performing fire department by keeping up to date with the latest in life-saving training and technology.

23 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page